Thursday, December 31, 2009

New Gothic



I love Gothic in that Tim Burton kind
of way.
Give me 'Edward Scissorhands' and I am
transported into his fantastic
world of dark winding staircases,
pointy steeples and grey cloudy skies.
And don't get me started on the fashion
in his films.
Helena Bonham Carter and Johnny Depp
always look amazingly rich in
black on black on black.
The Cure is another Gothic love of mine.
Robert Smith's voice is always hauntingly
beautiful and standalone quirky at the
same time, and 'Boys Don't Cry' and
'Love Song' have to be two of my
favourite tracks of the 80's.

Japanese youth culture have long
embraced the Gothic aesthetic, combining it
with Lolitaesque dollhouse imagery to
create what must be one of the most
original looks of our time.

Black lipstick should not be tried at
home. However eyeliner and teased hair,
Docs. with black and white striped socks
and haunted houses on jagged cliff-faces;
deliciously dark and romantic, will always
have a place in my heart.


No comments: